At Vyne Dental, we’re focused on building a sustainable business. Not only does our practice management solutions save paper by digitizing the capture, storage and submission of patient data, but we’re also planting more trees as well. This month, we’ll be working with One Tree Planted to plant trees in locations near our corporate offices and all over the country.
October 21st is Growing Vyne Day, an organization-wide tree planting event. We’ll be hosting tree planting sessions at locations near our corporate offices in both Atlanta and Indianapolis, as well as events in Knoxville and Kansas City. Remote team members will join in on the action with tree seed packets for local participation and sustainable contributions to their communities.
Our partner in this endeavor is One Tree Planted, a non-profit organization that combats deforestation with tree-planting events around the world.
What’s the Impact?
Indianapolis team members will coordinate planting of trees at a local community park located 15 miles from the corporate office. In addition to providing shade, as these trees grow they’ll provide a host of environmental benefits to their communities.
- According to One Tree Planted, once mature, each one of these trees will absorb up to 48 pounds of carbon dioxide each year. The Indianapolis planting alone will sequester 1,728 pounds of carbon from the atmosphere annually.
- One Tree Planted plants native tree species, which provides local wildlife with food and shelter.
- Studies show that urban trees improve air quality by filtering out dust, particulate matter and other airborne pollutants. A 2002 study done by the USDA Forest Service, Syracuse NY, shows that planting trees can help lower the rates of respiratory issues like asthma.
- The trees’ canopies cool down the surrounding area. In fact, according to One Tree Planted, a cluster of trees can reduce ambient temperature by as much as 8 degrees Celsius!
- Tree roots help reduce erosion, and they filter rainwater and runoff, reducing groundwater contamination.
Our tree planting event in Atlanta will be similar to the Indianapolis event in size and scope. It will include local Appalachian tree species to provide habitat and sustenance for songbirds, squirrels and other local urban wildlife.
Remote workers who wish to join in were invited to order seed kits, selecting from options including red maples, ponderosa pines, and even giant redwoods. Planting a tree is a great way to contribute to the environmental well-being of your community.
This is only the first step. Our ultimate goal is to plant thousands of trees across the US. Learn more about our other green initiatives here. Additionally, by digitizing claims and billing correspondence, we eliminate paper, postage and trucking waste. In fact, Vyne customers (dental and medical combined) save the equivalent of 170 million pieces of paper. According to the Sierra Club, that’s the equivalent of 11,000 trees! While tree density can vary depending on the type of forest, the US Forest Service estimates that New England forests have 182 mature trees per acre, which means that digital claims processing through Vyne helps save around 60 acres of forest per year.
As an ancient Chinese proverb says, “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” At Vyne Dental, we’re taking action now to build a more sustainable future for our planet.
© 2021 Napa EA/MEDX, LLC. All rights reserved. All third-party trademarks and tradenames (including logos and icons) referenced are and remain the property of their respective owners.